an unrelated photo i've captioned in my head as
"because sometimes mama just needs a break"
It was on Ash Wednesday, 7 years ago, that Clay & I had our first official date. It didn't go all that well (we later discussed how we were both surprised by that), but it is a good thing we decided to give it another go, cause on date number 2, I knew he was different from the rest.
As for Lent this year? I'm not giving anything up. Instead I'm working to make our household more holy. We are going to say a blessing before every meal. I'm going to start saying prayers with Gus at night (Lu already does). I am going to read my new Catholic Mom inspirational books and try to find new ways everday to teach our kiddos more about our faith.
So far for the Lu I've started a "kindness jar." Every time Clay or I catch her doing something kind or showing/expressing gratitude we are going to put a coin in her "kindness jar." And at the end of Lent we are going to give all of the money in the kindness jar to a "friend who doesn't have a nice bed to sleep in." Said friend will be picked by Luci from the Compassion website, probably during Gus' next nap (he wouldn't tolerate Lu & I hanging out at our dumputer). I think seeing a photo of friends in need will hopefully make it more real for her. It is hard to teach true gratitude to a three year old.
I'll keep you posted on how well it works.
It was on Ash Wednesday, 7 years ago, that Clay & I had our first official date. It didn't go all that well (we later discussed how we were both surprised by that), but it is a good thing we decided to give it another go, cause on date number 2, I knew he was different from the rest.
As for Lent this year? I'm not giving anything up. Instead I'm working to make our household more holy. We are going to say a blessing before every meal. I'm going to start saying prayers with Gus at night (Lu already does). I am going to read my new Catholic Mom inspirational books and try to find new ways everday to teach our kiddos more about our faith.
So far for the Lu I've started a "kindness jar." Every time Clay or I catch her doing something kind or showing/expressing gratitude we are going to put a coin in her "kindness jar." And at the end of Lent we are going to give all of the money in the kindness jar to a "friend who doesn't have a nice bed to sleep in." Said friend will be picked by Luci from the Compassion website, probably during Gus' next nap (he wouldn't tolerate Lu & I hanging out at our dumputer). I think seeing a photo of friends in need will hopefully make it more real for her. It is hard to teach true gratitude to a three year old.
I'll keep you posted on how well it works.
2 comments:
Love the kindness jar. Maybe I need to try that with Hads. We have a compassion child. We've had him for three years. Our little guy has a birthday four days after Ellie and lives in Honduras. Love getting updates from him and pictures in the mail. What a great thing to do.
Ooh, good ideas! :)
Post a Comment