Thursday, April 19, 2007

3 hour glucose tolerance test

Well tomorrow I get to go in for the big dog of the gestational diabetes screening exams. I failed the first 1 hour version I took a week ago today, so now tomorrow I get to go in for 4 blood draws in 3 hours complete with twice the amount of syrupy orange glucose drink to choke down. I was pretty miserable after the first exam...Clay had to institute 'freeze out' in the car on the way home. Freeze out is the game we play when I get nauseous in the car - which is more of a regular occurrence than either of us would like for it to be. We turn the AC on full blast as cold as possible & he takes away any sweater I have until I am uncomfortable and cold...but no longer nauseous. I think it is an old trick he picked up along the way in a cockpit somewhere...it has proven quite helpful in the last 6 months.

Luckily my good friend Amanda has volunteered escort me tomorrow morning since Clay won't be home until the ordeal is about over. And she's bringing a jacket in case we have to go sit in the car & play freeze out. If I throw up I have to start the whole thing over again on another day...so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Worst case scenario I have gestational diabetes & get to go see a dietitian and be on a strict diet for the remaining 3 months, only to give birth to Luci the toddler instead of Luci the baby (Dr. Brooke's words...). I'm hopeful that it will be all right and I'll pass the big dog test...but just in case it isn't I treated Luci to Mc Donald's today for lunch with what may have been her last Filet O Fish for years to come...

1 comment:

Holly said...

Yo...I tried calling you this morning. So...did you pass??