Saturday, August 04, 2007

We're alive!

My apologies to all of you well meaning callers...I've been avoiding the phone for almost a month now! There are just so many changes I'm coming to terms with that I can't seem to muster the energy for a simple conversation.

Obviously we made it through the birth, despite it going in a completely different direction than we had intended. I had the epidural, and boy was I ready for it by the time we relented. Unfortunately it ended up being a 'bad epidural' (Woodlands Mom lingo) and I started the Friday after Luci's birth with the worst headache I'd ever had in my life. A chat with an anesthesiologist confirmed it was indeed a spinal headache - a headache caused by a poke in the spine that causes spinal fluid to leak out...resulting in the worst headache ever. Fortunately you can get relief from the headache by lying flat on your back. This would be a perfect solution after giving birth, as I was exhausted, but it certainly made it difficult, if not impossible to care for our newborn. Luckily there is a fix (a blood patch), but it involves another needle in your back & a great deal of blood drawn...but I managed through it despite the nurse passing out (Clay had to help her sit down while holding Luci...it was quite an event). I felt great Friday & Saturday, but the headache came back Saturday night.

More to come later...the posts might be a bit choppy for awhile as I blog in between caring for Luci. Clay is on a trip & my mom went out for a walk so I'm on my own. Mom leaves tomorrow & I'll admit I'm a bit terrified to be responsible for this tiny blessing without her. She's been an unbelievable help & I hope someday I can do for Luci what mom has done for me.

Gotta go.

No comments: