Saturday, April 12, 2008

Happenings

What a week! Luci has been pushing around/walking behind all sorts of things this week...diaper boxes, toy pianos, laundry baskets...so we decided to get her the real deal and sprung for a $20 push & ride toy at Target. It converts to a ride on toy once she learns to walk...but it is a bit rickety (sadly you don't get much for $20 these days) so it requires more balance...which we are hoping is a good thing?



Another big event was our first "Mommy & Me Swim Class." It doesn't teach the kiddos to swim (obviously), but it attempts to get them comfortable with the pool. We signed up for the class with our mommy & baby friends Christina & Rachel...and it is just the 4 of us in the class! So Christina & I are enjoying each others singing voices, as most of the class is singing & moving your baby accordingly...think hokey-pokey in the water. Luci was fine as long as I was holding her tight, but she was skeptical of anything resembling the assisted back float...no kick, kick, kicking for her in the water just yet! Pardon Dad's closed eyes...every time I took a photo he blinked!



In other news, this week I started making homemade baby food for Luci. It seemed like a good idea because she is ready for thicker textures & more finger foods (besides puffs & Cheerios). I went out and bought some kiddy cookbooks (with the Christmas gift card from Uncle Ben, thanks Uncle Ben!), an electronic food mill, a steamer (just a stockpot kind for the stove) and some freezer storage accessories. Three hours and about 3 days worth of food later, I decided this business was for the birds. We calculated out that I saved $6 for 3 days worth of food by making it at home. Which...had I just worked those three hours...well...let's just say I'd have earned more than $6. So I'm going to give the whole homemade food thing another week (maybe there is a learning curve that will lead to a reduction on time spent?) but so far I'm not sold. And the worst part was that Luci has refused to each green food for the first time since we introduced it to her... I think maybe it will just take awhile to get used to the thicker texture.

Today we helped our friend Caroline celebrate her 3rd birthday! The party was at a place called 7 Acre Wood and featured a petting zoo & pony rides! Luci didn't really 'ride' the pony, but she did sit on him & seemed to think it was (as her Grandpa Pierse would say) "interesting." Happy Birthday Caroline!

Clay was home a few extra days this week while he waited for the pink eye infection to run its course. We had a wonderful week with lots of family time, which was great because Clay will be doing another stint with the Navy next week for 7 days. We will miss him!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Pink-eye is the WORST! And it takes so long to go away!

You'll have to tell me what you did with the cooking. It gets easier with time. Call me this week!

Laura said...

Luci is so strong...I'm so jealous that Alivia is such a weakling. Oh well, we'll get her straightened out one of these days. I wish she had Luci here to motivate her:-) I bet Luci starts to enjoy swim lessons a bit more soon. Alivia is a kicking fool at her lessons...and it's so good for their muscles. When did Clay come down with pink eye? You or Luci didn't catch it, did you? Love the new pictures, Miss Luci is just growing up so much. Take Care!

Lacey said...

Hey, I meant to tell you I made baby food for Gav and Ellie. Do you use ice cube trays??? It makes it a whole lot easier. Also, you can buy fresh cut frozen organic veggies and they are FAST to make. I have the book mommy made and daddy too. I thought it was a good one to follow.