Monday, May 11, 2009

a sweet baby


is what we saw this morning. a baby who measured pretty much right on track at 7w1d, with a heartbeat between 150-160 bpm. not sure if it meets the technical Catholic criteria for a miracle, but in my own little world, i feel as though i have been blessed with my own little miracle.
i was 99.99% certain what we were going to see this morning (no baby)...proclaiming to my husband and our OB right before the ultrasound that i was confident i knew my body. i've not been so good over the last week...eating more carbs than i should (serious craving for PB&J), sugary desserts, having caffeine a few times, having a tea at starbucks, eating under-cooked eggs, deli meat...you get the idea. i stayed up late last night researching recurrent pregnancy loss, taking notes, and creating a very neat & orderly word document full of questions so that we could develop an appropriate action plan.
and then we found a sweet baby with a beating heart. and then i said holy #%*!, and burst into tears. and then i couldn't stop saying holy moly and i couldn't stop crying.
this last week, for the first time in my life, i understood the words "comforted by prayer". i seriously felt a comfort that i can't describe. i was sad, but i did feel a comfort that God was giving us what we needed. i was also mad...thinking that apparently what we needed was another pregnancy loss and my new mission was to find out why. and here He goes, showing me again that i just don't know. obviously, my mission is just to trust. and i promise to try harder.
thank you all for your kind words, sweet thoughts, and heart felt prayers. they made a difference.

9 comments:

Laura said...

WOW!!!! I am so thrilled for you and Clay and Luci. God is so good. As soon as I saw your FB post, I knew to check your blog. Holy Moly is right. I will continue to pray for Baby Pierse...YAY!!!!

amanda said...

i believe in miracles.

jamie said...

a few things that i find noteworthy, if i may:
1) if God sees fit to use starbucks, sugar, and carbs as an integral part of His glorious works then who are we to deny ourselves of this branch of the nutrition tree?
2)according to my wallet-sized laminated canon law reference, uttering explitives at the time of witnessing a miracle does not, in fact, negate the miracle. you scraped by on that one.
3) prayer works...we've experienced it first-hand, second-hand, and i'm sure even third-hand.
May God continue to bless our little corner of the world more times over than he has already seen fit to do.

The Tankborns said...

YEA!!!!!! So happy for you, Clay and Luci! What a happy Monday!

Carrie said...

Oh, wonderful! Congratulations!

Brett, Lesley, Caroline and Eleanor said...

See, he/she was just being a little shy!! I am beyond excited for you all!!! That is the best news ever and this baby is incredibly special to us all already!!!! Love you guys and Baby Pierse Pea, too!

Lacey said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I want to run to your house and give you a big ol' hug right now. I am sooo thrilled for you and that baby pea. I am glad you felt the prayers!! And I too believe in miracles!!! Can't wait to meet this little one!! YIPPY!!!

Foxham said...

Thanks be to God. The power of prayer never fails. Congratulations Pierses!

Holly said...

Yippee!!!!!!