Bernard A. “Benny” Halvorson, 77 of New Hampton, died Friday afternoon, June 19, at the 9th Street Chautauqua Guest Home, Charles City.Memorial services will be 11a.m. Wednesday, July 15, at Trinity Lutheran Church, New Hampton with Pastor Kevin Frey and Pastor Joel Dahlen officiating. Internment will be in the New Hampton Cemetery.Friends may call 4 - 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 14, at Hugeback & Chenoweth Funeral Home, New Hampton and an hour prior to the service Wednesday at the church. Bernard Albert “Benny” Halvorson was born August 19, 1931, in New Hampton, the son of Henry and Anna (Olson) Halvorson. He received his education in rural country school near Jerico and the New Hampton High School. On October 3, 1953, at the former St. Olaf Lutheran Church in New Hampton he married Janice C. Hartson. To this union six children were born. Benny had worked at the Iowa State Department of Transportation retiring after 41 years. In 1965, the couple purchased their farm northwest of New Hampton where they raised their family. His wife Janice died on June 17, 2001 at the age of 65. Benny especially loved working on the farm, socializing with friends and family, and in his later years fishing, camping, gambling and watching old westerns. He had been living at the Riverside Chatauqua Assisted Living in Charles City, where he enjoyed watching the river.Survivors include two sons, Bradley “Bucky” (Pam) Halvorson of New Hampton, Todd (Krista) Halvorson of Erie, Colo.; four daughters, Brenda (Mike) Kellogg of Nashua, Lori (Mike) Rosonke of New Hampton, Debra (Steve) Lahr of Fairfax Station, Va., Tamara (Dan) Halvorson of Madrid; 10 grandchildren; 7 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Jeannie Huber and Anna Mae Qualley both of New Hampton.He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife and one brother, Hartley Halvorson.Luckily Clay & I had planned a mini vacation for the week of 7/13...so instead of a trip to Portland we'll be heading up to Iowa for the week. I'm glad that we get to go as a family to be with my extended family. I grew up 5 minutes away from Grandma & Grandpa Halvorson, and across the street from Grandma & Grandpa Rosonke. I LOVED playing at my grandparents house with all of my cousins all the time (on both sides), and it breaks my heart that Luci & Asher have yet to meet. I'm excited to see lots of family I haven't seen in years...always the silver lining of a funeral.
On the other spectrum of life news, babypea waved hello again this week. (S)he was positioned so that we got a clear view of his/her little spine and all looked well. It was a wonderful thing to see. My OB is letting me come back each week until I feel the baby regularly...most likely around week 18. We'll also have the big ultrasound around that week to check for health with a possible bonus of finding out the sex. And yes, we'll absolutely find out if babypea is willing to show us!
3 comments:
Oh Britt, sorry about your loss, but excited that you got a good report again this week. I can't wait to hear what you are having.
Hey Britt, I'm working on making it home that week to attend the services and see you guys. If I can't get away for the services, I will definitely come up later in the week to get to see you guys.
I'm glad to see the little squirt is thriving!
Who did the math on the grandchildren and great-grandchildren? Is there some other family that I don't know about?
Post a Comment