Friday, July 31, 2009

ha-ppy-burt-day-to-you

Luci is OBSESSED with birthdays...has been for months...so I may have felt a little bit of pressure to live up to her expectations for the big 2nd birthday. But I guess if I didn't, she's only 2 and hopefully won't have any long term scars!

On the actual day of her birthday we opened presents from family after nap time and then had planned to have lasagna & ice cream. Um, yeah. Nice plan. She was happy to see all of her gifts, but was soon wandering around the room, with a sad sort of face saying, "cake, cake, cake?"...and the ever observant Grandma Pierse realized she was looking for her cake. It broke my heart because I had no cake planned! Luckily after lasagna I talked the family into heading to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream cupcakes...which totally saved the day!

We held her party on Monday at 4p to take advantage of the 'recession buster pricing' offered at our local Pump It Up. She had all of her close friends there to help her celebrate, and we had the super big arena all to ourselves...it was great. Once we arrived she did spend some time looking for her cake...walking around all of the big jump thingies....but jumping is fun and she was soon distracted enough that she was able to jump for over an hour. At that point we were supposed to jump for about 15 more minutes but she started to meltdown asking for her pizza & cake...so the birthday girl got her wish & we headed into the party room. She got the first piece of pizza and contentedly chowed down for the next 15 minutes on two pieces. She got to sit in the big birthday chair and with the lights out we all sang to her...I thought she'd be all smiles, but she sat just sort of stunned...and then finally at the end of the song she started to smile. She enjoyed her homemade cupcakes (store bought cupcakes make her face turn all red & give her diaper rash) and as soon as she was done eating started asking for 'homa, homa' (home). After saying good-bye to all of our friends we headed home & she was asleep before even got there!




A special thank you to Miss Amanda who took all of these amazing photos for us!! And the strange looking lady in the glasses is me...I woke up with pink eye on Sunday. Nice.

I attempted a great deal of creative effort to make our Luci's day special. I made homemade sugar free chocolate cupcakes and sugar free carrot & pineapple cupcakes...and if I do say so myself, they were delicious! And...no red face or diaper rash :). I bought the cheapest hats (because birthday hats are part of the birthday obsession) I could find & then added purple curling ribbon out of the top...and I bought purple upholstery trim and hot glued it around the top & the bottom of her little hat so that it would be extra special. I bought random birthday plates, napkins, tablecloths & balloons...all just birthday/cake themed. For her little friends I made little cupcake goodie bags filled with cupcake bubbles, cupcake tattoos, cupcake kaleidoscopes & kazoos.

Thanks to everyone who came and braved the pink eye potential to make her birthday special. And an extra thanks to Grandma & Grandpa Pierse who made the trek down from Indiana and to Grandma Pierse who helped with many of the creative efforts!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Awww...looks like Luc had a great birthday!! Happy Birthday Luci Lou.

Laura said...

So fun.....you're such good parents to give such a rocking birthday party at age 2....we don't start that until 3. She just looks all grown up, doesn't she?