Wednesday, May 09, 2007

30 Weeks...a little bit big...maybe??


Last night we attended "Newborn Care" at the hospital. It was a 3 hour class that went over the basics of diaper changing, cord care, feeding, burping, the 5 s's (swaddling, swinging, sucking, shh-ing & side position), bathing, taking baby's temperature, along with crib & car seat safety. Each couple had a baby doll to practice with and by the end of the night we were quite fond of our little one...I kind of wanted to bring her home! We saw several photos depicting newborn characteristics including cone head, jaundice, grey blue hands & feet, along with photos of babies delivered with forceps & vacuums vs. those that came out naturally or with a c-section. We played a Babies Price is Right game and tried to guess the cost of various items like formula, diapers, baby wipes, diaper creme, & a jar of food. Clay & I came in way over...so hopefully that means we'll be pleasantly surprised by how little Luci costs (yeah right ;). We took several pages of notes and overall it was a great class, especially for $30. I'm looking forward to Breastfeeding Basics at the end of the month!

This morning started bright & early with an interview of a pediatrician, who we liked so much we've already decided to go with him. The office was bright & clean, with separate waiting rooms for sick kids & well kids. Dr. Bhakta has little kids of his own & seemed to practice very flexible common sense. Another task checked off of the list...

Then after breakfast at my new favorite venue, The Black Walnut Cafe, (they have a VERY strong decaf latte I crave) we went to our 30 weeks appointment with Dr. Johnson. She is such a funny lady, she cracks us up. I asked her for her opinion on Doulas and without hesitation she gave us the eye roll & asked how much money we'd have to waste on that. Clay & I both started laughing, and I went on to explain that we were just nervous that Clay might be gone when I go into labor & had thought maybe a Doula would be helpful in that case. She assured me she'd be there, and that we'd be fine. She also told us she is comfortable with inducing labor at 39 weeks if we are, and that we should think about it given Clay's schedule. We'd both prefer she comes on her own accord (when her dad is here, of course), but I think we're entertaining the idea now. After Dr. Johnson measured my belly, she also said she'd want us to do an ultrasound at 35 weeks to see how big Luci is, and what position she is in. I asked if she suspected Luci might be a little big (I could see there was something in her face she wasn't saying), and she said ummm...just a little bit...maybe....

As for my size...the Houston humidity has arrived and I'm starting to get a bit puffy. My wedding band leaves a serious indentation on my finger, and I might be sporting the beginning of some super attractive cankles. I've gained enough weight that I'm going to stop reporting it now...I'll just say that I'm still within the normal range. However last week at yoga the Y staff was taking photos for the newspaper...and they wanted the biggest belly...and they were trying to decide between mine & another woman's...who happened to be 34 weeks compared to my 29 weeks...needless to say I insisted they photograph her and not me....

3 comments:

amanda said...

i'm impressed you still have your wedding ring on...i had to pry mine off at like 25 weeks...and you should have seen all the glances we'd get in the mall..."look at that little pregnant teenager...poor thing,i hope he sticks around after the baby..."

Holly said...

Great news about the pediatrician. I wish I could find one with a sick vs. well room. I've called so many and no luck. Stupid city and suburbs! I say scratch the doula, too :) And who cares about size! A quick tip from my fitness instructor who is 5 months pregnant with her third...exercise a lot! Her two previous deliveries were super FAST. Her second labor was a whopping ONE hour! She swears it's the exercise and staying in shape during her pregnancy. I'm taking note for the next time, too!

The Tankborns said...

Sounds like you guys are staying busy with all the classes and getting ready for Luci's arrival. I love the photos! It's so nice that I can catch up on what you've been up to since I can't be there with you. I miss you! Hope you have safe travels to Iowa. Paul and I will be heading there for Memorial Day weekend. Talk to you soon.