Well everyday gets better, but each night seems to be two steps forward and one step back. Aunt Brookie Nae & Sunidh watched Luci this morning so I could go back to sleep...it is amazing what a little sleep does for my attitude and general physical well being. Not getting more than 2.5 hours of sleep at any one time for weeks is much harder than I anticipated. The lack of sleep combined with the spinal headache made the last few weeks really tough, but the good news is that the headache is finally getting better. As for Luci, she may be a bit tongue tied (yes, it is an actual condition) and while it shouldn't prevent her from speaking correctly, it is making nursing a bit more difficult. She sucks & sucks but doesn't get as much bang for her buck as someone without this condition would. Lucky for us Amanda hooked us up with a speech pathologist who specializes in infant feeding, so tomorrow we go see her & a lactation consultant at the same time. I'm really hoping they can give us some suggestions to make the nursing go a little better. As I was warned, it is hard...really hard. I just didn't quite comprehend how hard - which maybe was a good thing. She'd much rather just hang out & sleep than eat...until I take her off...at which point she starts behaving like a little starving bird...mouth open, tongue searching, eyes wide, head bobbing around wildly...thus earning her the nickname of Luci Bird.
The first doctor visit was yesterday and all looks well. She's not quite back at her birth weight - she's at 8lbs .6oz vs. 8lbs 2oz, but Dr. Bahkta said she looks great. We need to keep a close eye on her until we get this feeding trouble resolved, but hopefully the appointment tomorrow will help with that. As for her long self, the girl is already up 1/2 inch to 23 inches!! Our newborn is almost 2 feet tall! The worst part of the whole appointment was that her newbie parents forgot the diaper bag...so when she peed, pooped and threw up all over the scale at the doctors office we looked like the new parents we are as we had to ask for wipes & diapers. All the while I kept promising her we'd get better at this parenting thing...let's hope I honor my promise!
Luci sends a shout out to her Uncle Ben who turns 22 today. Happy Birthday Uncle Ben!! Aunt Brooke says we should have some rice in your honor...
The first doctor visit was yesterday and all looks well. She's not quite back at her birth weight - she's at 8lbs .6oz vs. 8lbs 2oz, but Dr. Bahkta said she looks great. We need to keep a close eye on her until we get this feeding trouble resolved, but hopefully the appointment tomorrow will help with that. As for her long self, the girl is already up 1/2 inch to 23 inches!! Our newborn is almost 2 feet tall! The worst part of the whole appointment was that her newbie parents forgot the diaper bag...so when she peed, pooped and threw up all over the scale at the doctors office we looked like the new parents we are as we had to ask for wipes & diapers. All the while I kept promising her we'd get better at this parenting thing...let's hope I honor my promise!
Luci sends a shout out to her Uncle Ben who turns 22 today. Happy Birthday Uncle Ben!! Aunt Brooke says we should have some rice in your honor...
4 comments:
Ha, that's hilarious about the diaper bag! I have a few things on the way to you that will help with that ;)
Luci is just beautiful. We think she looks a lot like her Daddy. Did I ever tell you that Alivia had the tongue-tied condition? We had the frenulum clipped on her when she was about 1 month old and it vastly improved her feeding abilities. I agree, nursing is extremely hard work, it's still hard for me and Alivia is 5 months old already. Stay positive and as well rested as you can with a newborn baby:-)
She is so cute! Sounds like you are very busy... those spinal headaches sounded aweful... hope those are gone for good. Take care of yourself and know that I'm here if you ever have a free minute or 30 seconds and want to chat. I understand that things are crazy right now, but I'm thinking about you tons and look forward to talking on the phone once things have settled down a bit. Love ya,
Jen
You are so blessed. What a beautiful girl.
Very funny about the diaper bag......you will get to be very comfortable traveling with her before you know it, however, children have a way of making the most type A a bit humble. Nothing ever goes perfectly as planned:)
Glad your feeling better- good luck with the feeding and just trust your instincts.
Post a Comment