Tuesday, April 08, 2008

YAY!

I MADE IT IN & OUT OF THE GRAND CANYON. WITH AN 18LB PACK.

Not to toot my own horn here, but this was no small feat. We hiked down 9.8miles and went from 6890 feet in elevation down to 2450 feet. And then back up again the next day! The way down was ROUGH. It was tough getting used to the pack, and it was even tougher to make sure that each foot placement wasn't going to lead to a broken or sprained ankle. Trekking poles saved the day...they kept me balanced when my body wasn't up to the job. The first bit of the trail was icy & that lead to exhausted legs & joints just 3 miles into the 9.8 mile hike. Somehow when we got to the half way point I decided the hardest part was over and my spirit was up! Then a short 1.5 miles later just as we were starting 'Devil's Corkscrew' I twisted my ankle a bit & my spirit plummeted. I didn't think I could make it back up any distance, yet I couldn't imagine getting all the way to the campground knowing we had almost 4 miles to go! I sat down, pouted a bit, and then got back up & kept going after some encouragement to turn around from Clay. He knows me so well ;)

We got to the campground around 4:30p, set up the tent quickly, and rushed to the 'steak dinner' we had signed up for at the Phantom Ranch (a hotel at the river). We were a bit late & my steak was still mooing...so that left something to be desired. Next time we'll just have a backpacker meal (yes, I said next time). Sleeping in the tent was surprisingly okay & comfortable...and somehow even kind of fun. We were plenty warm and the sound of a rushing stream right next to our campsite should have lulled us right to sleep...but we were a bit freaked out about getting out the next day given that it took much longer to hike down than we thought it would. The next morning we started out about 7am (later than we intended, but it didn't get light until 6ish).

We worried needlessly! Somehow the first 5 miles FLEW by!! By 10am we were at the half way point!! I was starvin marvin by then, so we had a backpacker meal...BIG MISTAKE. I got back up, put my pack on, and felt like I was going to throw up. I had eaten too much (big surprise, huh ;)! The next 1.5 miles and 1100 feet up to the 3 mile rest house were the worst of the entire trip. Ugh...it was really, really, really hot & awful. I told Clay I was never, ever doing this again, and that this was NOT my idea of fun. He was very sweet, encouraging & patient. After a 30 minute rest at the 3 mile rest house I started to feel better & we were off again. The next 1.5 miles to the 1.5 mile rest house was only 800 feet of elevation, and it wasn't so bad. Shortly before the rest house I recognized someone coming down the trail...a guy I went to high school with!! I said, "Jeremy Haskovec", and he said, "Brittnee Rosonke". GET OUT. Crazy small world huh?!?!?! He was on the way down, and given we were almost back out so we didn't chat long, just talked about how bonkers it was to run into each other in the Grand Canyon!

We saw the 1.5 mile rest house and were so excited to get out that after a short bathroom break we just kept on 'pickin em up & puttin em down'. Finally, at 4pm, we excited the canyon. I've never been so relieved in my life...

Random notes...
-Lots of mule trains go down the trail...and they poop EVERYWHERE! Clay's little diddy was, "poops, poops, everywhere, poops, poops on my boots".
-Note to self...NEVER CARRY AN 18LB PACK UP OR DOWNHILL FOR 10 MILES AGAIN.
-I want to remember how proud I am of this body of mine. Sure I wish it was a little leaner (or maybe a lot leaner), but how astonishing that a short 8 months ago I had a baby & destroyed all of my core muscles, and yet somehow, I made it 10 miles...downhill...then uphill...with a pack...with only sore calves! Every time my mind started to pout about not wanting to be there anymore, I would remind myself of a comment that a clerk in the general store made to us...he said the trip was 70% mental, 30% physical. And for me that was totally the case. Sure, I was dirty & tired, but how remarkable that my body was just fine...I kept reminding myself how blessed I am to have a healthy body...and that I needed to 'man up' and keep on truckin. If my body could handle this task then certainly my mind could.
-Leave it to me to bring the camera battery charger, but to forget to actually charge the battery...and of course, it died Friday morning....so photos are sadly limited. That being said, I've posted our few photos (or click here if you get this emailed to you):
2008-04-06 Grand Canyon



Luci notes...
She changed so much in the 3 nights & 4 days we were gone! She's quite a bit more giggly, has gained some serious strength in her legs, and is eating more than ever! She's also quite a dancer! :) She obviously had a WONDERFUL time with her Grandma & Grandpa Pierse...when I came down to say hi on Sunday morning (for the first time since Tuesday late afternoon), she was skeptical of me & perfectly content to stay with Grandma. She also has perfected a cry that appears real (it even has tears), but is just because she is mad. I can see her spirited little eyes looking out through the tears wondering...will this work?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations!!! How proud you must be of yourself after such a tough trip. I'm not sure I could have done it:-) I'm glad you and Clay had a nice time together and that Luci had a fabulous time with Grandma and Grandpa. How crazy that you ran into a NH alum..I'll have to tell David that.

Lacey said...

You go girl! I am not sure I could do that!! You should be so proud of yourself!!