Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Happy Birthday Aunt Baylee

Luci's Aunt Baylee turns 18 today...and it is her last day of high school! What a great day! We went to see Dr. Beena this morning & got the all clear for our Iowa weekend. Baylee decided not to have a graduation party, but Clay & I are headed there regardless to help her celebrate this significant accomplishment and watch her accept her diploma. I couldn't be prouder to have another Hawkeye in the fam....and hopefully this fall with any luck we'll call her a Kappa as well :)

Dr. Beena says Luci is still 'sky high' and isn't showing any immediate signs that she's ready to enter the world just yet. She did a quicky little ultrasound and got to see that her head is in the lower left part of my belly, and her little feet & bum are up in the upper right part of my belly. I'd have guessed this based on her movements. I also saw her little heart fluttering & her rib cage & lungs expanding as she practices breathing. Dr. Beena says her spine looks beautiful. I actually lost a pound from last week, and my belly is measuring the same as last week - which was 2 weeks ahead of schedule at that time. So maybe she went through a little growth spurt & now she'll get back on schedule. Regardless, we are having a big ultrasound at 35 weeks (today is 31 weeks) to determine her position & take a guesstimate at her weight.

We started our Bradley Method classes on Saturday. We learned lots of relaxation techniques and a few exercises that Clay & I are supposed to do together. At the end we watched a video of a natural birth from beginning to end. I was squirming & almost crying, while Clay was very composed & stoic (he'd just been warned by his buddy not to let any unedited comments accidentally slip out). It was almost as if he was watching a science experiment unfold...meanwhile I'm glad I won't be seeing what is going on down there. I think it scared me more than it did him; I've started to have crazy dreams and restless nights pondering delivery. I had a dream two nights ago that I passed out during labor & woke up 4 days later to a happy healthy 4 day old Luci...


2 comments:

Holly said...

Don't watch natural live births and get the epidurel! You'll be glad you did -- birth is actually pleasant then! If you want more "natural" hold off the epidurel until the near end. That way you still experience strong contractions. I felt good about doing it if makes any sense at all! But than again, you can also tell me to shut-it and do what's best for you ;)

The Tankborns said...

I'm sorry that you're not sleeping well, but that dream was hilarious! I also love the part about Clay watching the video... so funny. You guys are going to be fine and remember you can't anticipate everything that's going to happen... that's what's so exciting about life. Just keep positive and focused on how blessed you are... I know I probably have no right to talk since I'm not in your situation and haven't seen the natural birth video, but wanted to give you a little pep talk. I have never met anyone more prepared than you... you'll be fine. Paul and I are excited for Luci's arrival and we miss you tons. Have a wonderful weekend in NH and safe travels.
Love ya,
Jen