Food. I've been consumed by what to feed this child now for a week or two. Last week she screamed & cried every time I put her in her high chair. Ugh. She has taken to rejecting 95% of pureed vegetables. Depending on her mood, she might eat pureed sweet potatoes or carrots. There is not a chance she'll eat pureed peas, green beans, squash or any kind of vegetable blend. Her new favorite food is toast; I cut it into super skinny but long strips & she LOVES it. I think she likes that it has a handle of sorts, and I know that she is pleased to be feeding herself. She also just loves bread...but the strip shape did seem to appeal to her...so I've been turning everything I can into strips. Cucumber strips. Roasted sweet potato strips (also known as sweet potato oven fries). Steamed carrot strips (next time I'm buying the matchstick carrots...they'll be perfect). She'll also eat steamed peas, but will not eat mushed up corn. I'm hoping to try roast parsnip strips next week. She likes cheese. One day I made her a cheese quesadilla with a whole wheat pita. She loved it SO much she put about 4 bites in at once & it got so globbed up in her mouth I had to dig it out. She was NOT happy. So we'll hold off on another quesadilla until she's a little better at the chew/swallow thing. She loves fruit now, especially applesauce and bananas. She also loves the Yo-Baby yogurt, particularly the peach & pear blends.
Walking. Oh man, she is SO close. For the last few days there have been moments where she is standing independently, wants to get from point a to b, and we see her wheels churning...and then she sits down & crawls over. She is a walkin fool behind her push toys, on furniture and while holding our hands. I do think it will be just a matter of weeks, or maybe even days from now & she'll be everywhere. Everyone keeps telling me some weight will just fall off me when this happens. I'm looking forward to that ;).
Teeth. She's had a low grade fever & has been fussy for a few days off & on now, so I expect to see another tooth any day.
Laugh. She has QUITE a sense of humor!! She laughs ALL the time now...it sounds kind of like Ha.Ha.Ha.Ahhat,ahhaat,ahaat. When we aren't down on the floor & playing with her & she wants us to be she crawls over to the stairs and starts to crawl up them. Of course we drop whatever we are doing and run over to the stairs. Then she starts up with her ha..ha...ha..ahaat,ahaaat,ahaat. She thinks the game is super fun!
Books. She's tiring of her non interactive books. She flips the books closed, or starts lunging toward other books. Where is Baby's Belly Button is her new favorite! She laughs at the end every time when we find the baby under the blanket. She also has this Baby Einstein book of neighborhood animals...the cat used to be her favorite...then it was the duck...now it is the mouse!
DVDs. Controversial subject, I know...letting your child watch TV, especially at this age. But let me say regardless of your feelings on this subject, she adores the two I've shown her so far. Both are about animals - one farm animals, one safari animals. It comes in handy when I need to get stuff done in the kitchen...like making her sweet potato strips. I put her in the jumperoo & when she gets bored of the DVD she plays with its toys. When she tires of the toys she watches the DVD. And for the record...Brooke & I watched more TV than any children in the history of the world...and I like to think we turned out just fine :).
Music. She loves to dance. Aunt Brooke got her some personalized cds for her Baptism - they sing her name. Every time they say Luci her little head whips around & she tries to figure out who is talking to her. Cracks us up.
Gear. UGH...will the gear needs ever end? Given that we live in Houston while all of our family and many of our friends live elsewhere, and that we are the ones that can fly for $25 roundtrip pp (non-rev...we are stand-by) we seem to be doing a lot of traveling. This travel will probably increase until we are blessed with #2 (no news to report, just planning ahead), and then it will slow for a bit, only to pick back up...*2. So we are trying to figure out how we can stay sane during our trips...as it has been a challenge. Traveling with her car seat, the Radian 80 (click for details) is MISERABLE. Given our status as traveling fools (Tucson a few weeks ago, going to Indy this weekend, hopefully to Chicago in a few weeks, and then to Iowa in July maybe...just Luci & me) we had to do something about our 22lb car seat that doesn't fit well in an airplane seat. Or in our car, really. I think it will be great when Luci is much older & larger & is forward facing. But for now, this car seat just doesn't work for us. I read TONS of reviews & really did my homework before we bought it. But it just doesn't work for us. So we are now the proud owners of a Britax Diplomat in Taylor. She seems to fit much better in it, and Mom & Dad are delighted by everything about it, except the amount of money it cost. I also just purchased the Baby Sherpa diaper backpack. Clay's very old backpack functions, but not well. It is also on its last leg. So the Baby Sherpa is on its way. I hope we are happy with it, as it wasn't cheap (nothing seems to be). Sadly it won't arrive in time for our trip to Indy. However we will be using our new Maclaren Stroller...the 'lightweight workhorse' of the industry. It can be folded or unfolded with one hand at the end of the jet bridge while the other arm wrestles with a squirmin worm known as Luci. Weighing in at 12lbs, it is lighter & more easy to manipulate than Luci.
Wish us luck travelling tomorrow. We are headed to Indiana for our niece Kylie's high school graduation. Nothing like heading to Indy over Memorial Day Weekend...during the Indy 500...trying to non-rev...with a baby....and a husband/dad fresh off of flying a red-eye in from Anchorage...see how much we love you Kylie?!?!?!?

2 comments:
Once they ban the veggie purees it's hard to go back. Gavin was the same way. He loved food in its solid form. Your doing great. I have the mommy made and Daddy too book and followed it with G and E...I plan on making H's food also. Your such a good mommy! :0) I can't believe she is almost walking. Where has the time gone?? I feel like i was just watching you out the window walking with her in your belly.
That's too bad about the purees! Funny, we stopped at the mall in Iowa for lunch and I ran into Target to buy some pureed carrots for Noelle. She wasn't thrilled, but I was able to distract her enough to eat the whole jar. She much preferred her grilled cheese and yogurt from panera :)
Post a Comment