Tuesday, June 10, 2008

flood

My parent's home. That is the garage on the right hand side. And my cousin, Jeremy, with his boat.
This is a view of the highway that the house is on.

My parent's house in Iowa flooded on Sunday. The house is a split level with a finished basement; the basement is half underground & half above ground. At one point the water was over the basement kitchen counter...so even stuff they thought they had 'put up' was destroyed.
They've had lots of help so far, but there is still lots to do...so Baylee & I are headed up there on Thursday. Grandma Pierse is coming down to stay with Luci (thanks Grandma Pierse). As always, it is hard for me to leave Luci, but I keep thinking that one day if our home is ever flooded, I hope she'll come be with me. It is & always has been very hard for my mom to part with things that have some kind of memory from our childhood attached to them...so parting with so much destroyed family memorabilia is not going to be easy for her. No antsy for me this weekend...there will be plenty to do.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Holy Cow....I am so sorry that happened to your parents home. I completely understand how your mom feels about parting with childhood stuff...I have a hard time tossing a stained onesie, I can only imagine how hard it will be in 20-30 years. I am praying for your family to make it through this with as little pain as possible. I'm sure your parents are so thankful that you and Baylee are going to be there to help.

amanda said...

grandma rosonke and family, you're in our thoughts and prayers. it's so much worse than i was imagining.

Lacey said...

man,I am so sorry. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

scott's family is dealing with this, too...very sad.