Monday, June 16, 2008

what a week

Sweet Baby. She can put the block into the square mouth of this giraffe, and a ball into the round mouth of another crazy toy friend. Such talent!She is obsessed with getting a bunch of things in one hand...she'll spend 3 or 4 minutes getting lots of items in a one handed grip & then walks all around with them. The crazy way over her airplane...why walk around? She'd rather climb right over the top head first!!

I'm back. The travel was tough both there & back...I took the last flight out on Wednesday night because Thursday flights were full. I got into MSP about 1:15a & spent the night in a hotel. I did the same on Saturday night, catching the 5:30a flight back to Houston on Sunday. I was the last person on the airplane...another stand-by non-rev didn't make it...last I checked he was still up in the airport, waiting, on Sunday night. If I hadn't made it on that 5:30a Sunday flight I'd have been stuck until Tuesday...and I was missing that baby, so I'm awfully glad I'm here. She's worth getting up at 3:45a for any day ;)

Much progress to report on Mom & Dad's place. Between Dad, my cousin Jeremy, Uncle Pat, Mom, and Grandma & Grandpa Rosonke, they got all of the drywall ripped out of the 1st floor. It now resembles a roller rink with its cinder block walls and cement floor. Their house was definitely a giant mess, but they are so much luckier than so many other folks. Four feet of water in the first floor is so much better than water all of the way up to the roof. Baylee & I were crazy organizational freaks...we had about 50 Rubbermaid Totes labeled & stacked up. We spent 2 days sorting between garbage, keepsakes & 'tote-worthy' items, and goodwill. We pushed Mom (maybe a bit too far) about every item she wanted to keep. She did a great job letting go by choosing to honor memories, not things. We had lots of great food brought to the house & overall lots of people are helping & getting the job done.

random things I miss about the north...
1. my fam. i'm so jealous of people who can go hang with their parents when ever they want to. i miss my parents, my siblings, my grandma & my grandpas.
2. my friends. got to hang with my friend erin for a short bit on saturday. fun times.
3. the weather. i miss enjoying summer instead of dreading it. the sun was hot & the breeze was cool...how great is that?!?!?
4. midwest grass. it just begs for a picnic, right Bayl?
5. midwest hills & trees.
6. the way mosquitoes either don't exist, or don't bother me so much up there.
7. the sun staying out longer.

Once I'm up there, I realize I miss these things so much...I decided to tell Clay we had to move. Then on Sunday I saw that commuter non-rev guy get left behind at the airport...and I saw the stress in his face...and I knew there was no way I could ever ask Clay to move. And overall, I feel very blessed that if we are not up there, we are here.

Luci had a great time with Grandma Pierse - thanks again Grandma Pierse! Luci seems to have made more progress on her walking while I was gone, and Grandma Pierse's cooking seems to have turned her back onto food. She looks taller too...is that possible?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, glad that you had a safe (albeit, long and probably a bit stressful) trip back to Iowa.....we haven't been back since Christmas, how terrible is that? Was wondering, where is that airplane toy from? Alivia would love something like that...I'm willing to try anything to get her motivated to keep moving:-)

Laura said...

BTW-wanted to tell you, I have made the turkey meatballs/pasta recipe and Mrs. Lawrence's lasagna....both were fabulous...bit hit with the whole Nielsen family...Thanks so much for your help..if you come across any other good recipes, send 'em my way!!!!!