Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Birthday to my favorite Veteran...

working on Dad's cake...' licking the beater' is what we called it growing up...it was a new concept to Luce but I think she got the hang of it...
You're only 2 once, right?
Singing Happy Birthday to Dad the night before his b-day...
blowing out his candle...Luci said he wished for cake...and it came true!!

Today is Clay's birthday...a BIG birthday...but I won't tell you which one (born in 1969...)

The celebration began last night...that happens when your 2 year old is SO excited the day before her dad's birthday that she doesn't nap! Yes, Luce stayed awake in her bed for almost 3 hours yesterday singing Happy Birthday to Daddy and proclaiming that Daddy's birthday was TODAY, not tomorrow. She was VERY much looking forward to the purple cake that she had plans to give him. For the last few weeks I asked her almost daily what she wanted to get Dad...and it was always a cake. A purple cake. Sometimes a purple AND a green cake. So being the clever mama I am, we made cupcakes, put cream cheese frosting on them (cause food coloring does horrible things to her skin), and then bought $5 worth of sprinkle dots in different colors...so Dad did indeed get a purple cake, and a green one, and a yellow one. What a lucky dad, no? Oh, did I fail to mention the man doesn't even like cake!!?!?!? What a trooper...he put on a good show of thanksgiving :)

Today we started bright & early with gift opening before we even brushed our teeth. I thought Luci would be excited to help me wrap, but no...she's not quite ready for that. Finally after a bit of drama Dad opened his gifts. He received a fall cord blazer from Luci & me, a few books, a magazine subscription, and a Cubs hat from his 'rents. Overall a pretty good b-day, I hope.

I also made him lasagna for dinner and apple crisp for dessert. He's putting Luci to bed now and then we'll be able to enjoy said apple crisp peacefully...with vanilla bean ice cream on the side. Yummm......

Seems like such a big milestone needed more, but he told me MONTHS ago that he really hoped that I wasn't planning anything big for this birthday. And he was genuine & adamant. So I obliged...but it feels sort of wrong...like we under-celebrated or something. Happy Birthday handsome man...I love you!
PS.
Happy Veteran's Day...please remember that this is the home of the free because of the brave!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Clay!!!! What an exciting birthday year. Looks like Luci put on a great party for her Daddy. My kids are equally (or more) excited for someone else's birthday as they are for their own...that's what great about being a kid..so genuine. hope to see more posts soon...although I can't harp on you to post, when I can't seem to find anything to write about on my own blog. It's getting so close to Gus's arrival...so excited for you.

Lacey said...

Happy 4-0 CLAY!!!