Thursday, May 31, 2007

Very blessed at 33 weeks

Yesterday was my 33 weeks appointment with Dr. Beena. As I pulled out my long list of complaints...um, I mean symptoms...(sooo tired all the time, restless legs, headaches, heartburn, rib pain, loss of appetite, snoring, more heartburn, still tired but can't sleep, etc) she told me everything I was experiencing was very normal and just part of the last few months of pregnancy...but that is was okay to vent ;). She did tell me to start taking iron supplements in case anemia is to blame for my increasingly lethargic behavior. Which is great if they work, but they are currently making my heartburn & indigestion that much worse...I've already had 3 Tums this morning. I gained 1 lb. over the last two weeks so I'm good with that, and I'm back to measuring on schedule...33 cm for 33 weeks!

Also to blame for my lack of sleep are these bonkers dreams I keep having. Two nights ago I dreamt I laid an egg ...and spent hours in my dream trying to figure out to keep it from getting all mashed up. I had hard boiled some eggs for a salad before I went to sleep and I think I was having flashbacks to my salad making experience - during which my attempt to slice the hard boiled egg ended up with mashed egg all over my salad. Last night I dreamt that Brooke showed up due any minute with twins! So Clay & I made the decision that we had to move ASAP to be by Brooke because I would need to care for her two babies as well as ours after she went back to being a doctor. I was very anxious in my dream about having to care for what would essentially be triplets! I know Aunt Deb did it & handled it like a pro...but I woke up feeling more tired than I was when I went to sleep last night!

Now for the 'very blessed' part...I know Clay & I often complain about being in Texas. But, I must say that we could not have landed in a better neighborhood. I love Cottage Green and the people that live here. For the last few months the girls in my 'hood have been getting together once a month to play a fun & goofy board game called Pokeeno. We bring a wrapped gift (no more than $8) and when you win a round of Pokeeno you get to pick out a wrapped gift. Well last night I won Pokeeno first (we do as many rounds as there are people so that all the gifts are picked - then we do a second set of rounds so that you can steal the opened gifts from others when you win) and opened a gift of a sippy cup & Johnson's Baby Wash. I thought, "Oh! Good thing I picked this gift...it wouldn't be appropriate for most of the ladies here!" And the next person wins...and picks out a gift...and opens 2 little girl newborn nightgowns! The woman had just told us she was pregnant, and I thought, "Oh I hope it is a girl so she can use these! Good thing she picked out that gift instead of it going to one of the other ladies with older kids!" And then the next person wins...and opens little girl socks! And the next person wins...and opens stacker cups! And the next person wins...and opens a handcrafted blanket and a little robe & wash cloth! And I bet you are starting to get the picture....well I wasn't! When all of the gifts had been opened and I sat there thinking about how inappropriate most of them had been! Usually people bring very universally appealing adult gifts...like wine or candles or gift certificates. As I'm thinking this I say out loud, "Well I guess I missed the baby themed memo!" To which my dear friend Amanda replied, "How do you suppose that happened????" And I honestly answered "I don't know!"...as I'm still sitting there thinking what inappropriate gifts people brought this time! And then my other good friend Lesley said, "She still doesn't get it!" At that point I felt myself turning bright red....as Lesley pointed out all of the obvious signs...pink baby gifts, pink cupcakes...! I felt like such an idiot!! It honestly didn't occur to me that these women, most of whom have met me only a handful of times would do such a nice thing for someone they barely know! After I got home I called Clay...and of course he figured it out after I told of the second baby girl gift being opened...and he said, "that's your good friends Amanda & Lesley at work!" Bottom line...I could spend hours counting my blessings these days...and for that I couldn't be more thankful.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE your neighborhood friends! Amanda, if you're reading this, Brit has told me so much about you and Clara that I look at your blog every now and then :) I like to see what I'm in for in the months to come!

About the shower gifts...don't worry -- I didn't "get it" until the THIRD gift, ha ha. :)

Iron supplements...I forgot to tell you my Doctor put me on those mid-pregnancy. She was very specific about the brand? I took Feosol (ferrous sulfate) and got them at Walgreens. Is that what you're taking?

The Tankborns said...

What a fun idea for a baby shower! I'm so glad you have made such wonderful friends down there. I hope to meet them all next time I'm in Houston. Sorry to hear about the "symptoms", but happy to learn that they are all normal and to be expected. I hope that the iron helps with your sleepiness. Keep us posted! I love this blog... it's such a great way to keep us all in the know. ;)