Well I thought we were doing better at school, but Miss A informed me that today was possibly the worst day yet! Luci is excited to go now before school starts...she's excited to pick out what she wears, what goes in her lunch, excited to see Miss A, Miss L, and a few other friends she now names. We walk in together, hand in hand, and she doesn't cry when we leave.
But apparently, opposite of most kids who cry for five minutes when the mom leaves and then are fine, Luci is fine for 5 minutes and then cries. Real tears. Silent, but real tears. They tell me she's no trouble...that she's a good listener and will follow directions, but she does so with tears. Tears that make them as teachers sad for her...cause they are very obviously real. And Miss A proclaimed she's obviously intelligent, because Luci has the routine down & tries to speed up the day by progressing to the next activity to get to the one that is followed by Mom picking her up. (She wants to go outside, then inside, then lunch, then outside.) Then I pick her up, and she's excited to tell me about the day and show me her artwork. And she CLEARLY adores Miss A & Miss L.
Miss A suggested giving it another week...at that point we'll be almost 1/2 way through the fall semester. Miss A, Miss L and Miss I (the director) have all told me that she may just not be ready...and that if I wasn't pregnant they'd say to try again next year, but that if I want to we should stick with it and that she will eventually get the hang of it. Warm fuzzies this does not give me...I don't want her to go just because Gus is on the way. I really thought she would love it....she needs a lot of engagement, stimulation & variety and I really thought this was the answer. We definitely didn't realize she was such a sensitive, attached little soul.
So, what to do. We have definitely made progress in the AM before she goes. But after much discussion, Clay & I have decided that if things don't go any better next week while she's actually at school, we are going to pull her out for the year and try again next fall. I'm so disappointed...not in her (not at all), just in knowing that what I thought was going to be a bright spot for her and work or Gus time for me isn't going to be.
2 comments:
You never know...she could surprise you. The first child is always the hardest in school. The second and subsequent children go much easier because they see their sibblings go. Hang in there Momma!
So sorry to hear Luci is still having trouble. It might just take her longer to adjust, and that is so hard..on her and you and everyone. On the other hand, I completely think you are going to need some "you and Gus" time, so hopefully something will work out. I'll be thinking of you.
Post a Comment